Private LTE and Private 5G Modules
Private LTE and 5G: Secure, High-Speed Networks for Enterprise and Industrial Applications
The growing number of connected devices drives new requirements for various industries that traditional public cellular networks cannot address. Utilities, manufacturing, mining, agriculture and other verticals are exploring private network solutions so that they can deploy devices in secure and on-premises environments where public mobile networks are either unavailable or not desired. When it comes to wireless networking, enterprises are always looking for ways to provide secure coverage with the seamless ability to roam from public to private networks on campuses, in warehouses, mines, farms and other corporate environments indoors and out.
Many organizations address these escalating requirements by turning to private LTE and private 5G, dedicated wireless networks separate from the wide-area public macro network. They are used for specific Internet of Things (IoT) applications and services, such as:
Telit is at the forefront of this new technology, bringing decades of cellular leadership to offer you comprehensive LTE and 5G enablement that extends from the modules themselves to connectivity, platforms and integration, and certification expertise. With Telit’s private LTE or 5G modules, you will find the right features at the right price with no technical or business compromise for your private cellular IoT innovation.
Watch Our Private LTE On-Demand Webinar
Watch Our Private LTE Questions Answered Follow-Up Webinar
Benefits of Private LTE and Private 5G
A private cellular network gives you a variety of advantages over other options like Wi-Fi, such as:
- Cybersecurity: A private network can be a best-of-both-worlds solution, providing all the cellular benefits while enabling you to keep all your corporate data behind your firewall. Wi-Fi is more susceptible to security breaches and hacking attacks, whereas LTE and particularly 5G are generally considered more secure at the enterprise level than Wi-Fi.
- Latency management: For industrial processes in which automation network latency times are critical, private allows your IT team to specify latencies to infrastructure providers. 5G latencies can reach down to single-digit milliseconds where time-sensitive networks (TSNs) operate.
- Legacy connectivity replacement: Cellular technology is considered more robust and scalable than Wi-Fi. This scalability makes it a superior wireless replacement for mission-critical use cases, like land mobile radio systems (LMRS) and public safety applications. Cellular networks are also ideal for fault-tolerant operations, such as in mining, rail and energy distribution.
- Expanded bandwidth: Most of the private LTE and 5G spectrum is broader than many current wireless technologies. For example, in the United States, the Citizens Broadband Radio Service (CBRS) has 150 MHz bandwidth in the 3.5 GHz band.
- Future-proofed for 5G: Private 5G builds on the success of private LTE to bring the enhanced features of 5G NR to the private network space, like higher speeds (especially in the uplink), very high reliability, and ultralow latency, which play a crucial role in industrial manufacturing and mission-critical use cases.
These advantages and more make private LTE and 5G fast, secure, cost-effective choices for many use cases across industries, utilities and government.
CBRS OnGo and Private LTE
Mobile operators or private companies can run private LTE and use a licensed, unlicensed or shared spectrum. In the United States, the most mature shared spectrum is the Citizens Broadband Radio Service (CBRS). CBRS was created to open the 3.5 GHz band to a wide range of users, including incumbent users, mobile and cable operators, other service providers, public entities and enterprises.
Telit was the first top-tier IoT and mobile broadband module vendor to join the OnGo Alliance (formerly known as the CBRS Alliance), an organization focused on supporting the development, commercialization and adoption of LTE and 5G solutions for the CBRS band in the 3.5 GHz spectrum band, also known as Band 48 (B48). Telit's active participation in the alliance helps drive innovation and adoption of private LTE and private 5G, giving enterprises new options for site, campus and office wireless networking.
CBRS private LTE offers a variety of benefits, such as:
- LTE performance with Wi-Fi simplicity: For enterprise organizations, CBRS delivers the capacity, traffic management capabilities, latency, reliability and security of LTE required for industrial IoT and other critical applications. CBRS can offer ease of deployment and operations compared to Wi-Fi, enabling you to deploy standalone networks that you can — but don't have to — connect to a mobile network operator (MNO).
- Out-of-the-box solutions: CBRS vendors offer to reduce LTE complexity with small cell solutions that work out of the box and do not need a carrier-scale, macro-core network.
- Wireless networks customized to your needs: Building and operating any wireless network is expensive, yet it is essential for today’s increasingly connected enterprises. CBRS provides a cost-effective way to deploy and manage standalone cellular networks on the premises in a spectrum band that does not require an expensive license.
- On-premises networks: On-premises networks deliver more power and flexibility for managing security. Sensitive data stays on the premises instead of going back to the core network of an operator. They are also ideal for edge computing and network slicing, enabling your enterprise to run and manage applications locally for optimized performance and minimal latency.
CBRS, backed by U.S. regulators and government agencies, can support the expansion of 4G and 5G into new consumer and industrial applications. Telit’s expertise in enterprise-grade mobile broadband and IoT solutions, together with our experience supporting customers in go-to-market strategies for products and solutions involving heavily regulated wireless standards (e.g., cellular), make us a natural fit for the alliance.
Use Cases for Private LTE and Private 5G
- Locations not covered by public wireless infrastructure
- Industries requiring automated machinery, such as mining and agriculture
- Sectors requiring hardened equipment and low-density, long-range coverage
Automation and Industry 4.0
- Factory-floor robotics such as wireless robots for greater flexibility in production line reconfiguration
- Logistics and warehousing machinery such as pick-and-pack machines
- Environments with devices in dense deployments and with low latency requirements
- Monitoring and control of utilities and other critical infrastructures, such as electricity distribution grids and power plants
- Enabling public safety agencies to create closed user-group, ad hoc networks at emergency scenes
- Developing dedicated, highly available networks for government and military agencies
- Public venues, such as airports, stadiums, hospitals and ports
- Sites with many users, including employees, contractors and visitors, who require fast, highly secure access
- Sites that require a private network that is configurable for different user groups
Case Study: Rio Tinto Improves Mining Safety and Reliability
Australian mining conglomerate Rio Tinto is one of the first large enterprises to use a private LTE network to support commercial operations at scale. The company developed a solution to cover 15 mines and related facilities, including transport hubs, railways, ports, offices and other sites. The solution delivers:
- Improved reliability and resiliency for production and safety-critical services with full wireless coverage of all operational areas
- Ability to utilize QoS and prioritize traffic safety and production-critical traffic
- A consolidated network platform to support multiple in-pit systems concurrently
- Reduced infrastructure requirements with four LTE communications trailers instead of 30 Wi-Fi communications trailers
Telit Private LTE, Private 5G Modules and Partnered Solutions
Telit offers module and data card solutions to meet device manufacturers’ and system integrators’ various needs worldwide. Our diverse set of modules cover diverse markets and are backed by an award-winning device management platform that can be deployed privately in the network to enable highly secure management of IoT devices. Telit also has connectivity offerings that can be bundled with private LTE and private 5G to allow different off-network roaming options.
Telit's portfolio of private cellular modules includes:
- LGA modules for CBRS, 700, 900, 450 MHz and other private LTE bands regulatory and commercially established regionally around the world
- 5G and Gigabit LTE data cards
- Private-only and hybrid modules
Key Features of Telit Modules
- Versatility: We offer form factor families to support all cellular technologies, each with the same size and shape, pin-to-pin compatibility and software interface. One design can address different geographic markets because the modules are interchangeable.
- Availability: Telit builds modules to last. You can rely on long product life cycles, low field support needs and a lower total cost of ownership. Even if you need a replacement years from now, you can be sure the module form factor or API will be available with Telit.
- Global certifications: Telit modules are certified by more regulatory agencies and mobile operators than any other cellular module portfolio. Our customers can quickly expand into new markets and regions, leveraging variants of modules used in their original products.
- Support: As you build your IoT solution, we provide expert support. Our team of experts can review designs and schematics, advise on system architecture and much more.
Telit offers robust device management to support today’s demanding applications. Your organization can deploy private instances of Telit deviceWISE Cloud for your device management needs. This cloud-based IoT subscription service allows you to create, accelerate and manage your IoT solution from one web interface. Device management through Telit deviceWISE Cloud provides a full picture of all your equipment for real-time remote machine monitoring and troubleshooting, enabling control of your devices, campaigns, firmware over-the-air (FOTA) updates and more. This platform also offers connectivity management to ensure cost and performance, avoiding bill shock, and sustainability and scalability for your connectivity ecosystem.
Telit supports combined offerings through private LTE partnerships for roaming from private networks onto Telit connectivity.