The ML865G1 is the Category M1/NB2 evolution in the widely deployed Telit xL865 product family. Specified in the Release 14 of the 3GPP standard, LTE Cat M1/NB2 is specially tailored for IoT applications, offering optimized power consumption and enhanced coverage.
This next generation of products supports the new features specified by 3GPP to boost IoT applications. These features include Power Saving Mode (PSM) and the extended Discontinuous Reception (eDRX). PSM and eDRX allow the devices to wake up periodically to deliver only minimal amounts of data to the networks and then go back to sleep for most of the time, thus allowing prolonged battery operation. Enhanced coverage, with up to +15 dB/+20 dB in maximum coupling loss (MCL) compared to the other cellular technologies, is also one of the primary benefits of this new LTE flavor. LTE Cat M1/NB2 devices are optimized in cost, size and power consumption compared to higher UE categories.
3GPP Release 14 further improves these features by adding techniques to increase the date rate for LTE-M and NB-IoT. These advantages make the ML865G1 ideal for enabling the quick implementation of LTE technology in which low cost and low power are more relevant than high speed. Some examples are asset tracker, smart metering, smart parking, smart agriculture, waste collection, industrial sensors, healthcare monitors, home automation and many more low-data-rate IoT devices.
The ML865G1 is highly recommended as a migration path for existing GPRS devices, and both new and updated designs can benefit from a significant extension in life cycle with LTE Cat M1/NB2.
The xL865 family includes pin-to-pin compatible 2G, 3G and 4G modules — the GL865, UL865, and NL865, respectively — making it another pillar of the concept “design once and deploy globally.” It enables integrators to develop a single PCB layout for 2G, 3G and 4G Cat M1/NB2 technologies.
- Design once and deploy globally with the xL865 form factor family
- Optimized for low power consumption
- Compact VQFN pack is ideally suited for low profile integrated solutions, limited real estate application boards, reducing costs in high-volume applications and saving space and weight in portable devices
- The perfect platform for IoT applications, such as smart metering, security and surveillance, point of sales, health monitoring, fleet management and asset tracking
- LTE UE Cat M1/NB2 compliant to the latest 3GPP Rel. 14 enhanced machine-type communication (MTC)
To address complexity expected in future exponential growth in the number of IoT devices, integrated, embedded and cloud software components are necessary to increased manageability, lowering cost points for deploying and maintaining such networks. To that end, the ML865G1 is offered with a software suite of management and deployment tools:
- Lightweight M2M device management protocol compliance, enabling detailed management of extremely low-power devices and FOTA updates with the goal of more robust and secure connections.
- Telit’s IoT AppZone, an integrated development environment (IDE) acting as a reference workbench and development tool for all Telit products, running applications directly inside the Telit module.
- Telit’s Connection Manager, a tool for automating the most common operations for initial connection of devices to cellular networks.
- Location, a facility that provides location of devices even in the absence of GNSS connection.
- LTE UE Cat M1 (1.4 MHz)/NB2 (200 KHz)
- 3GPP Rel. 14 compliant
- Half duplex FDD
- Single Rx, single antenna
- 3GPP Rel. 12 PSM
- 3GPP Rel. 13 eDRX
- 3GPP Rel. 13 extended coverage
- Control via AT commands according to 3GPP TS27.005, 27.007 and customized Telit AT commands
- SIM application tool kit 3GPP TS 51.01
- VoLTE (planned)
- SMS over NAS
- IPv4/IPv6 stack with TCP and UDP protocol
- Embedded GNSS (GPS, GLONASS, Beidou, Galileo)
- OMA Lightweight M2M (LwM2M)
- Firmware Over-the-Air (FOTA) update
|Model||Market||M1/NB1 Support||Frequencies||Output Power||Approvals|
|4G Bands (MHz)||2G Bands (MHz)|
M1/NB2 + 2G
|B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B8, B12, B13, B18, B19, B20, B25, B26, B27, B28, B66, B71, B85||B2, B3, B5, B8||LTE: 23 dBm (Power Class 3) GSM/GPRS: 33 dBm (Power Class 4)||RED, GCF, ANATEL, IMDA, FCC|
Not Sure Where to Start?
Easily find modules well suited for your project using our product selector.