Develop a data-driven approach to farming
As the world’s population increases, there is a greater demand for food and a surge in development. With a decrease in the amount of land available for farm use and an ever-growing concern about water resources, farmers need to be smart about their crop and livestock management if they want to reduce waste and cut overall costs. The Internet of Things (IoT) is making it possible for farmers and growers to optimize their crop yields and promote livestock health through remote monitoring and data-driven decision making.
Optimize crop yields with data insights
The Internet of Things has the potential to transform farming and food production through improving product quality, increasing crop productivity, aiding in resource conservation, and helping farmers better control costs. Here are just a few ways farmers use real-time data taken from agricultural IoT solutions to optimize crop yields:
- Gather data on soil quality, moisture levels, and weather conditions in order to effectively plan for optimized harvesting.
- Use weather forecasts to optimize productivity and take preventative measures to decrease chances of crop damage.
- Monitor environmental parameters and plant growth to predict pest behavior and address any pending pest issues before they impact crops.
- Analyze and mange crop irrigation requirements, and use available water resources sustainably to reduce waste.
Support livestock health through real-time monitoring
Each year, farmers lose significant amounts of profit due to animal illnesses. There are many ways that IoT-enabled livestock management solutions allow farmers to promote better livestock health:
- Connected sensors in livestock wearables allow farmers to monitor heart rate, blood pressure, respiratory rate, temperature, digestion, and other vitals.
- Data streamed to the cloud directly from wearables allows farmers to identify and address issues like illness and feeding problems before they significantly impact the herd’s health.
- Farmers can use IoT solutions to monitor livestock reproductive cycles and the calving process to promote safer and more successful outcomes.
- IoT censors can be used to track an animal’s location, which can be helpful in locating sick animals as well as establishing and optimizing grazing patterns.
Support Agricultural Health while Cutting Operational Costs
IoT is helping farmers and growers improve the way they monitor and manage crop and livestock through rich data-driven insights. Partner with the IoT experts at Telit to get your smart crop and livestock management solutions to market faster.