ESMIG promotes Smart Metering in Europe
The foundation of the European Smart Metering Industry Group (ESMIG) recognises the fact that the relevant industries have a key role to play in
- the general roll out and adequate use of Smart Metering technology,
- a consistent technological roll out in each of the 27 Member States of the EU and
- the provision of maximum benefit from the new technology for users, utilities and the environment.
Traditionally, the primary role of utility metering has been to accurately measure usage of electricity, gas and water. Until now this usage data has been - with some exceptions - manually collected by the utilities. But the metering market is currently undergoing considerable change, and as smarter metering systems become available, they are being viewed as the future for utility metering.
ESMIG will give advice and provide its expertise to key stakeholders and actors, such as the European Union institutions, EU Member States governments and authorities, regulators, consumers and utilities on all aspects related to Smart Metering.
ESMIG has a number of objectives including:
- the pan-European introduction and roll out of Smart Metering through harmonisation and interoperability
- the creation and implementation of consistent standards for metering and communications
- the identification and promotion of best practice solutions for smart multi-utility metering.