One of the most commonly used packages for the latest generations of chipset in consumer electronics is the BGA. The main advantages of BGA components are the high density of interconnection for surface unit, improved heat dissipation and excellent long-term connection between the application and the module. In addition, the possibility of being used in SMT processes and their good behavior in high frequency environments. The complete GE and HE families are provided with a full grid array package (different pitches for different models) with lead-free finishing of the solder balls.
This special packaging permits automatic processing in SMT, and to facilitate this, the modules are provided in trays or reel suitable for pick and place machines. Telit's modules include embedded technologies BGA, LGA and LCC that can be easily reworked by using a common array package rework system. It consists of an optical gauge for the placing plus a hot air nozzle for the reflow. There is no difference in the reworking process of a BGA or a LGA device. The only difference is that in case of LGA you have to add solder paste to the host PCB; in case of BGA with a ball diameter higher than 0.8 mm / 1 mm (such as Telit modules) you may not need to add solder paste.
LCC castellation package technologies are surface mount package devices, which use metalized pads on the sides of the package. This kind of packaging is ideally suited for uncomplicated and low-cost applications based on a four-layer PCB (printed circuit board). Moreover, with the option for manual soldering and removal, it can also serve niche applications with a low volume production.
The LGA package provides an ultra low profile in the integrated solution while at the same time enhancing the performance of mechanical resistance to shock, reducing cost in high-volume applications, saving space and weight in portable devices.
BGA LCC LGA
Main characteristics for BGA, LGA and LCC:
- No IF/RF connectors: reduction of total solution cost.
- Compatible with the standard reflow process.
- High interconnection density translates into a reduction in the application size.
- Available in special packaging to enable automatic processing in SMT production lines.
- Improved heat dissipation and excellent long-term connection between the application and the module.
- Optimization of the production process with the use of all SMT components, a more reliable and stable production process.
Additional characteristics for LCC:
- Surface mounts with metalized pads on the sides of the package.
- Makes for an easier design of simple applications based on 4-layer PCB.
- Option also for manual soldering and easy removal.